Globally, people are suffering from different kind of life style related disorders. Prevalence of communicable (hepatitis, diarrhea, malaria, dengue, tuberculosis, AIDS etc.), non-communicable diseases (cardiovascular diseases, cancers, diabetes hypertension, strokes etc.) and micronutrient deficiencies are also escalating. People of Pakistan are facing problems in getting safe, nutritious and wholesome food. Nutritional deficiencies in children under age five are causing stunting, wasting, physical and mental disabilities. School-age children, adolescent girls, pregnant women, and older citizens are vulnerable segment of the society combating with iron deficiency anemia. The current health situation of people is putting pressure on our flimsy health system. Keeping in view the current miserable nutritional status of the people, University has offered an under graduate degree program “Dietetics and Nutritional Sciences”. The aim is to produce graduates equipped with the knowledge of diet and nutritional sciences. Students can utilize their knowledge to cure the diet related disorders of the society through diet diversification and modification. They can also serve in teaching and research departments, health sector, public health and community development programs to make the nation healthier and prosperous.
After completion of this program the graduates will be able to:
- Identify and classify food for its physiological role in the body.
- Develop analytical, creative, innovative ideas for nutritional and health science skills.
- Solve problems in the fields of nutrition independently or collaboratively. Apply practical nutrition-based knowledge to achieve advance therapeutic and clinical techniques.
- Demonstrate how food intake and dietary requirements can be altered by illness, and how to apply therapeutic diets to treat disease.
- Apply community dietetic services and create awareness about appropriate diets for specific clinical conditions to children, adults, women and especially to vulnerable groups and in emergency situations as well.